Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #10539  by Rec

Sorry for the long post :(
hoping to get some answers

I’ve had my opae ula for 6+ years. They’ve had quite the journey with me. The recently started breeding (not sure what I did right?)
I want to set up more tanks but it’s been so long since I’ve started from scratch and I’d like to have all the important info I need in one place..

The info I’d like to know since I’ve had a hard time finding answers is:
1) How long does it typically take or how long should one wait before adding shrimp to a new tank?
2) Are there any beneficial bacteria brands or anything you guys use to speed up the cycling?
3) What kind of light is best for getting Chaeto to thrive? Spectrum/kelvins?
4) Are there any fertilizers that are good for Chaeto?
5) Has anyone had difficulty with Malaysian trumpets overpopulating? I’m scared to get them again but want the sand to get circulation.
6) What substrates are recommended?
Any other tips or advice are greatly appreciated

My current setup:
I used RO water and I have my salinity at 1.01sg
I have oolitic aragonite sand
I use seiyru stone or Ohko stone
I have a sponge filter running on low
I have a small LED set up on cool white light either 4000K or 6000K?
I have a heater but I guess I don’t really need it? I keep my house AC cooling at 75°F/24°C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #10541  by odin

Hey there! It sounds like you are doing everything right if you had them breed for you!

With regards setting up your new tank, it really doesnt matter which substrate you use, ive used crushed coral, black sand, lava rock substrate and have had loads of breedig in all tanks.

The secret it not to disturb them and they will be more than happy. :happy: :happy: :happy:

I would however remove the filter as they do prefer still water in their tank. With regards setting up the new tank you have an established already so you can just setup the new one and add some of your substrate from the old tank and put it in the new tank. Id do this and give it a week then just put new shrimp in it.

Good luck!
 #10544  by Rec

odin wrote:Hey there! It sounds like you are doing everything right if you had them breed for you!

With regards setting up your new tank, it really doesnt matter which substrate you use, ive used crushed coral, black sand, lava rock substrate and have had loads of breedig in all tanks.

The secret it not to disturb them and they will be more than happy. :happy: :happy: :happy:

I would however remove the filter as they do prefer still water in their tank. With regards setting up the new tank you have an established already so you can just setup the new one and add some of your substrate from the old tank and put it in the new tank. Id do this and give it a week then just put new shrimp in it.

Good luck!
What kind of light do you have on your tanks?

And thanks for suggesting taking some sand. I hadn’t even thought of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #10546  by odin

I use cheap generic Chinese led strip lights that have red green blue and white LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro