Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7000  by opae ula related
 29 Mar 2019 16:47
Halocaridina wrote:Noticed one of the nerites was at the back upside down and hadn't moved in days. Picked it up and it didn't smell so assumed it was still alive. Put it back and after a week it had still not moved, so took it out again. Then I pushed the 'door' of the shell a little and tried to look behind it - there was no snail there. I am guessing the snail must have died at some point in the last few weeks and the shrimp, who mostly gather at the back, ate it all. Probably explains the level of the recent algal bloom too.

I have read online that a common aquarium lifespan for these zebra nerites is 4 years so was a little disappointed this one only lasted 2. Still not sure of the reason for death since the shrimp seem healthy and breeding, and the other snail seems to be doing fine.

Don't think I'll get a replacement since I was only intending to get 1 originally, but they had in a two for a price of one deal when I bought them.
Yup, the Opae Ula ate it all up. You could of gotten it when it was two years old :)
 #8218  by Halocaridina
 10 Aug 2019 18:15
The hair algae has since totally taken over the tank, choking out the chaeto and growing off the netting, the rocks and even the glass. The remaining Nerite and opae ula aren’t doing too well in terms of dealing with the problem.

I decided to try adding a second Zebra nerite and an Amano shrimp. I had brought the SG down to 1.003, which I have read Amanos can tolerate, beforehand. Now, there are online reports of Amano shrimp devouring baby cherry shrimp, which are probably a similar size to many of the opae ula there. I don’t mind losing a few ops ula nauplii and babies at this point, but will keep a close eye to make sure he isn’t taking out the adults. It seemed like this was really the only option for tackling the problem at this point. At some point the shrimp will have to be moved out anyway as it grows too large for the tank. Will let you know how it goes!
 #8231  by Halocaridina
 11 Aug 2019 11:03
Looks like it was a big mistake. I think I might have reduced the salinity too fast creating a shock (although opae ula are supposed to be extremely hardy, so I am not sure). Either that or some chemicals got on my equipment or something. The same room is used to house ant poison and other chemicals and it’s possible a wet net or hydrometer may have been left there or something may have contaminated the bucket I was using. I am leaning towards the latter because I have done substantial salinity changes in the past with no die off.

The Amano died overnight, along with what looks like 40 or 50 opae ula. The snails are fine. I can see maybe 5-10 opae ula swimming. Might tear down the whole thing for now and transfer the living inhabitants to my spare tank.
 #8232  by opae ula related
 11 Aug 2019 15:58
Halocaridina wrote:Looks like it was a big mistake. I think I might have reduced the salinity too fast creating a shock (although opae ula are supposed to be extremely hardy, so I am not sure). Either that or some chemicals got on my equipment or something. The same room is used to house ant poison and other chemicals and it’s possible a wet net or hydrometer may have been left there or something may have contaminated the bucket I was using. I am leaning towards the latter because I have done substantial salinity changes in the past with no die off.

The Amano died overnight, along with what looks like 40 or 50 opae ula. The snails are fine. I can see maybe 5-10 opae ula swimming. Might tear down the whole thing for now and transfer the living inhabitants to my spare tank.
Oh gosh! 40 to 50 Opae ula! Yeah transfer them.
 #8237  by Vorteil
 12 Aug 2019 17:45
Sorry to hear the loss. In the future I would suggesr doing a major water change to reduce the excess nutrients in the water. This will make a huge difference on the hair algae. The snails would have much of an impact overall. There's a guy who posted on shrimpspot his success with breeding amano's and slowly converting them to brackish.
 #8248  by Owlbit
 13 Aug 2019 00:36
Halocaridina wrote: 11 Aug 2019 11:03 Looks like it was a big mistake. I think I might have reduced the salinity too fast creating a shock (although opae ula are supposed to be extremely hardy, so I am not sure). Either that or some chemicals got on my equipment or something. The same room is used to house ant poison and other chemicals and it’s possible a wet net or hydrometer may have been left there or something may have contaminated the bucket I was using. I am leaning towards the latter because I have done substantial salinity changes in the past with no die off.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you are able to save the remaining.