Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6415  by Vorteil
 06 Jan 2019 23:38
When you stated the water smells, how bad is it? I think these opae are extremely hardy so I'm sure water is ok.
 #6437  by Melijayne
 09 Jan 2019 20:50
Hey, no I am afraid he has not been seen since Christmas, so I am going to accept the fact he has gone :cry:

I've just moved house, so the two remaining shrimp and snail have hopefully adjusted to the views and weren't too traumatised by the car journey!!!

I came in after work to check on the though and saw these wierd stringy bits hanging down from the top of the water... any ideas as to what this could be?
Attachments:
20190109_204829.jpg
20190109_204829.jpg (575.78 KiB) Viewed 467 times
 #6438  by Melijayne
 09 Jan 2019 21:53
Vorteil wrote: 06 Jan 2019 23:38 When you stated the water smells, how bad is it? I think these opae are extremely hardy so I'm sure water is ok.
It just got a little bit stagnant and musty but the water has actually started to clear now, now I just have these weird little hanging tendrils from the water surface.
 #6439  by Algae In Space
 09 Jan 2019 22:06
Melijayne wrote: 09 Jan 2019 20:50 Hey, no I am afraid he has not been seen since Christmas, so I am going to accept the fact he has gone :cry:

I've just moved house, so the two remaining shrimp and snail have hopefully adjusted to the views and weren't too traumatised by the car journey!!!

I came in after work to check on the though and saw these wierd stringy bits hanging down from the top of the water... any ideas as to what this could be?

But how can he disappear? I'm not sure if the other two may have cannibalized him if he had died...? :sad2:

About the picture. I am not sure what I am looking at here. I have no idea what's what in the picture.
 #6443  by opae ula related
 09 Jan 2019 22:35
Melijayne wrote:Hey, no I am afraid he has not been seen since Christmas, so I am going to accept the fact he has gone :cry:

I've just moved house, so the two remaining shrimp and snail have hopefully adjusted to the views and weren't too traumatised by the car journey!!!

I came in after work to check on the though and saw these wierd stringy bits hanging down from the top of the water... any ideas as to what this could be?
Probably some plant life that happen to tag along with something in your tank. I have some kind vine looking thing that grows on the glass on one of the tanks. You can try to scoop it up to get rid of it. Hopefully get rid of it.
 #6446  by Melijayne
 10 Jan 2019 19:06
Algae In Space wrote: 09 Jan 2019 22:06
Melijayne wrote: 09 Jan 2019 20:50 Hey, no I am afraid he has not been seen since Christmas, so I am going to accept the fact he has gone :cry:

I've just moved house, so the two remaining shrimp and snail have hopefully adjusted to the views and weren't too traumatised by the car journey!!!

I came in after work to check on the though and saw these wierd stringy bits hanging down from the top of the water... any ideas as to what this could be?

But how can he disappear? I'm not sure if the other two may have cannibalized him if he had died...? :sad2:

About the picture. I am not sure what I am looking at here. I have no idea what's what in the picture.
I actually don't know where he went. I never found a body?

I've tried to attach another photo. It'sthe wierd stringy snot (sorry) looking stuff hanging in the water :sick:
 #6447  by Melijayne
 10 Jan 2019 19:09
Here you go, not sure if you can see it very well...
Attachments:
20190110_190238.jpg
20190110_190238.jpg (790.55 KiB) Viewed 448 times
 #6448  by odin
 10 Jan 2019 19:20
Very strange indeed lol, what water and salt did you use again? also where did your substrate and rocks come from?
 #6451  by Melijayne
 10 Jan 2019 20:24
odin wrote: 10 Jan 2019 19:20 Very strange indeed lol, what water and salt did you use again? also where did your substrate and rocks come from?
The water was a mix of RO and marine water that the shop mixed for me in a 24l barrel to make brackish water. The substrate and the lava rock came from the aquatic shop too.
The guy seemed to know his stuff and literally just took my shopping list... :upsidedown:

I've been testing the water and the levels are fine, no rise in ammonia levels, nothing.

Would the snail have eaten him?!?!?!?!?! :what: :what: hahaha
 #6452  by Algae In Space
 10 Jan 2019 21:02
Very strange... could this be string algae? I really don't have a clue. You seem to have bad luck.

Just an idea if gets worse: Get rid of the strange water. Put the substrate, stones (all the furniture) into a pot and boil it. Clean the tank meticulously. You can use pure alcohol to clean the tank. Just make sure to rinse it afterwards!

Then buy some distilled water at your local supermarket (here in Austria there is a fish logo printed on it so one knows it's ok to use) buy the smallest pack of marine salt like this

Image

and start from scratch.

And this might be just the right moment to get some more Opae Ula to have a happy family again :sidesmile:
I've heard there is a guy named Odin who sells them.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7